Technical Notice: Cisco Clock Signal Component Issue
Recently, Cisco became aware of an issue related to a clock signal component manufactured by one supplier.
The products affected fall into four categories — Optical Networking, Routing, Security and Switches. In some units, Cisco has observed the clock signal component degrade over time. Although the Cisco products with this component are currently performing normally, Cisco expects product failures to increase over time, beginning after the unit has been in operation for approximately 18 months. Once the component has failed, the system will stop functioning, will not boot, and will not be recoverable.
At this point, Cisco has identified all of the products that have this component and worked with the supplier to quickly put a fix in place. Since this is not a product recall within Cisco, an impacted product needs to be under warranty or covered by any valid services contract dated as of November 16, 2016.
Due to the age-based nature of the failure and the volume of replacements, Cisco will be prioritizing orders based on the products’ time in operation.
SPS Support Clients with an Active Service Contract:
- Visit Cisco support site to view additional details about the Clock Signal Component Issue
- Find out if products you own are affected, go to the Field Notices tab
- For replacement and ordering information, please go to the Ordering Information tab
SPS Managed Service Clients:
- If SPS manages any of the devices falling into the categories outlined above, your designated engineering teams are working to verify if any of your devices are impacted and will follow up with you directly.
- If you have any questions, please reach out to your designated engineer or service delivery manager.
SPS Clients with Lapsed Service Contract:
- Please contact your SPS Account Executive for a quote to bring your service contracts up-to-date and we will support you through the ordering and RMA process.
- If you are not sure who your Account Executive is, please contact us SPS at 888.777.7280 — when prompted, press 1 for sales.